Sanjay Rawal is Transcendent. We use that word a lot in this episode because one of Sanjay’s life passions is to find more depth in all the things we do in life – beyond the actual acts of doing them. Take running for instance, there’s a race in new York called the Self Transcendence 3100 Mile Race. This is a real thing that people do every year. They run around a city block in Queens for 3100 miles. Why do they do it? To become better. Better people. Better for themselves. Better for the world around them.
Sanjay is so invested in this idea that he created a film called “3100: Run and Become” – check out the trailer here. And he’s right-on. We know that running, that exercise in general, can expand our lives, expand our horizons, expand our minds. I think that’s the message you’ll get today. It’s why I named this episode “Becoming a Better Person with Sanjay Rawal.”
Today we talk about:
- Sanjay’s past: growing up with a set of expectations handed to him by his parents & how he eventually broke free from those expectations to pursue a greater purpose
- Sri Chinmoy: the spiritual leader who shaped Sanjay’s life philosophy
- Running as a religion: how different cultures view running as more than exercise and more than a vehicle for greater performance
- The power of prayer and what it means to him
- His pursuit of a path of universal love: This means no drinking, no smoking & celibacy
- Meditation: quieting the mind
- Self-Transcendence 3100 Mile Race & the film 3100: Run & Become
- The Running Monks: Running takes an extreme spiritual path with this cultural group
- What we want vs what we need
- And so much more
We don’t run 3100 miles on today’s episode although I bet you will want to listen to Sanjay for at least a marathon. Sanjay is one of those people who just makes you feel better – about yourself, about your circumstances, about your past, your present, your future. He encourages you to think bigger. In all ways. I really appreciate this because there are many days and many moments when I get super granular and can’t surface my brain to get back to the bigger purpose. The more we can practice this, the better off we’ll be.
For more Sanjay… We could all use more Sanjay!
Watch the film! 3100: Run and Become
More films by Sanjay here
His interview on the Rich Roll Podcast (I love when guests overlap!)