After enduring a long infertility journey, and then a full blown identity crises following the birth of her son, Sara took her background in psychology/health/ wellness and rebuilt her identity – one step at a time. Today, Sara motivates and inspires women to stop shrinking and start growing in every aspect of their lives. She is on a mission to inspire women and moms, in particular, to live bigger, bolder, braver #everydamnday.
Sara has built 3 successful businesses in the last 18 years. She built and recently sold an award winning gym in Seattle. Her podcast is a top rated show in iTunes, with listeners in over 140 countries. She leads a private online community of thousands of Shameless Moms. In addition to leading her international army of Shameless Moms, Sara coaches other Shameless Mama business owners to build thriving business they truly love.
Today we talk about what it means to Play Bigger Without Asking for Permission. It's an important topic especially in light of last week's conversation about imposter syndrome.
- Women have historically tried to shrink their bodies which carries over to their minds.
- Sara's goal is the opposite; to help women take up space
- We ask for permission partly because it has been modeled that way - women have been trained to ask for permission before we allow ourselves to do things
- Own your superpower: Be really clear about what we're good at. Say it out loud.
- How do you identify your superpower? It's often what we're naturally good at, what feels easy to us. It's okay to pick the easy thing,
- Give yourself permission to not be good at everything.
- For moms who are raising boys: What do we do to help them support strong girls and women? Sara says, "Model the behavior we want them to see. Help them make space for others' experiences."
To find more Sara Dean, go to Shameless Mom Academy, check out her 4.5 million downloads & going podcast, and join her free Shameless Mom facebook group.